One project finished……. on to another

Well, It’s interesting when real life gets so busy that it keeps you away from blogging in your virtual life. It also occurred to me that I have been so consumed and overwhelmed with family issues, work and travel that my social life has been a quick check on Facebook versus actually seeing friends.  Hummm….Not a dilemma my forefathers had or could have even fathomed. Coincidentally I’m reading “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley,  but that’s another post for another day.

Anyway, I am happy to report that #1….I am still here and #2…. our long awaited Farmhouse foundation phase is OVER.




As usual, I get ahead of myself. I’m dying to plant White Annabelle Hydrangea’s all across this side of the house.  I know that right now it would only be deer food plus there are windows, a french door and paint to do before any planting can happen……just dreaming…..

Or…..Maybe these Oak Leaf Hydrangeas…..



I’ve spread gravel around the skirting panels because it (hopefully) will keep mice from digging under and getting into the house.  I hear that they don’t like the feel of the rock and will avoid it. My Hubular Unit humors me as always, loads and unloads the gravel for me, then says “We will need a cat”.




Now that we have gone this far, we are really committed. We’ve now created the architecturally interesting feature known as the “Door to Nowhere”. We had to rip off the rotting wood barely held in place, otherwise called “the deck” in order to do the foundation.  Each project leads to another… least this is done, and it’s one more step forward!

One of the new projects will now be fixing the major cracks in the walls throughout the house created by  leveling it all out. It was at least 6″ off and so that much adjustment really opened up some new fault lines.  Luckily, the remodel master plan will eventually rework these areas anyway.  We anticipated this and really didn’t want to do any Interior work until the base was level and stable. Luckily none of the windows broke during all of the shifting and jacking up that was done!


As I mentioned in a previous post, we found an old root cellar under the house and were hoping there would be some buried treasure hidden under there.  Instead, this is what we found.  A vintage leather child’s shoe and an old medicine bottle…..

The other thing we found was a forlorn broken doll face…

So, at some point I imagine a small girl child was living here. I can see her running around playing in the field when the daisies bloom.  She probably had some animals of her own and when she finally came back inside on a warm summer night, her chubby little hands would be all sticky and blue from eating all of the blackberries that surround the farm.

Who knows, maybe that really is the treasure found and discovered in a place.  All of the collective memories are held there, suspended, and uncovered later through our imagination.





Onward……to the next project……


This eyesore has been on the demo list since day one, it’s a pseudo carport that cleverly had a roof built in such a way that it funneled rain directly into the roof of the house.  Creating an indoor water feature in our mud room. Literally, a mud room.  So, conveniently the heavy snow storm we had last January, caved the carport in to the point where we could no longer avoid the fact that it was dangerous and  had to go.

People, this is not a skylight!


Can you say “Ramshackle”?  ……The attached shed’s at the back of the pseudo carport, (besides being hideous), also blocked the most beautiful view from the back of the house. Note the charmingly hazardous angle of the carport roof.



Not to diverge on a tangent or anything, but I really appreciate Men.  They have tools and chains and ropes and stuff.  The ones I know generally have an attitude of  “get er’ done” and they make it look easy.

Plus a tractor helps.



She’s comin’ down…..



One good tug and the whole thing came down, flat as a moss covered pancake.




The next few days were spent clearing all of the wood and roofing away.  There was actually a lot more junk to clear out that you would expect from a structure like that.  This concrete pad will get a new layer of concrete over it and eventually be covered with stone pavers.

We have invasive grass here on the farm and things grow like crazy with all the rain, so I don’t want to lay the stone in sand.  I would just have to weed it constantly. Plus we didn’t want to jackhammer out all the existing concrete just to put it in a landfill. There are lessons learned after having worked on several homes now and  so I’m moving into a “low maintenance” phase with any new designs.


The big plan here is that we are replacing the carport, with a 16′ x 20′ Outdoor Dining Pergola.  I think its mandatory in the Pacific Northwest to have a covered area so you can be outside in this climate, even when it’s raining, which is most of the time.  Nine months of the year the weather report ranges from the hilariously ironic “moisture likely” to “chance of showers” to “intermittent drizzle” to plain old “rain”. Then, when July 4th rolls around, we have approximately 3 days of summer and then the moody grey shroud descends again and it starts all over.  Weather reports become monotonous here.



But I digress….Our hope with this particular project is to pretend that we are dining outside in Umbria and thus develop a coping mechanism for all the rain.


The structure of course was more expensive than we could afford and so we had to make some cut backs.  All in all though, we will have a charming wood truss structure with a metal roof and skylights and power.  Eventually, to finish off the Umbrian brainwashing experience, we’re planning to build a stone outdoor fireplace and pizza oven! Let it rain!